Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Satan’s Blade (1984):


Well, I went into this expecting some full blown SOV retardation, 555 style, but there’s actually a lot of character to this low budget obscurity to raise it above the dregs. Actually, if you’re expecting cheese and over-the-top gore, you’re sure to be disappointed, as the nudity’s kept to a minimum, and the death scenes are pretty sub par, but there are these weird elements like “plot,” and “dialogue,” I think they call it, that kept me pretty engaged throughout. I mean, obviously no one’s reinventing the wheel with this one; you got a cursed knife that possesses its holder into doing evil, some cabins in the woods, a body count (body motherfuckin’ count), so it’s nothing too new, and will definitely appeal to shit fi slasher fans, but there’s a weird dichotomy between the married couple cabin and single college girl cabin at play, and for whatever reason I found myself kind of warming up the to characters more than I usually do in these movies. Yeah, I’d say it’s definitely worth a watch or three. And of course it’s a long out of print obscurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment